FORT ADAMS STATE PARK
Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI, 02840. One of the park system’s national treasures, Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views. The festival at the Fort features 4 stages of music, food and crafts, two beer and wine gardens and a number of displays. Festival is held rain or shine.
INTERNATIONAL TENNIS HALL OF FAME
The ceremonial Newport Jazz Festival Friday evening concert will be held at the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino. The venue is an open air stadium with a combination of covered and uncovered seating. Tickets sell out very quickly for this event, which is held rain or shine.
GETTING TO THE FORT
Newport Jazz Festival’s official travel partner, WBGO Jazz 88.3 FM is offering weekend packages and day trips for festival fans. Luxury buses will depart from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Newark, NJ and Boston, MA. Click the links below for more details and to book your trip.
For bike info, visit bikenewportri.org.
BY WATER SHUTTLE
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the Festival weekend between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It’s a 15 minute trip and reservations are not required. 2017 schedule and pricing TBD. More information can be found here.
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. 2017 schedule and pricing TBD. More information can be found here.
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. The service runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. 2017 schedule and pricing TBD. More information can be found here.
Fort Adams State Park in Newport, RI is about 1.5 hours from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Get directions to the Fort from your location.
There is limited on-site car parking available at Fort Adams State. Motorcycle parking is also available on-site for $10. As parking is limited and we love Mother Earth, carpooling is encouraged!
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering the Festival site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot directly to the Festival entrance, running from 9 am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
The Fort Stage viewing area is uncovered and includes no chair zones, general admission lawn seating areas, an ADA area and a small reserved seating section. To access the reserved section, you must purchase a separate ticket for the reserved area. Patrons may bring blankets or low-backed lawn chairs (max 30”) for lawn seating areas. No tents, chair roofs, umbrellas or shade structures are allowed in lawn seating areas.
The Quad, Harbor & Museum Stages are covered. Seating is first-come, first-served in these locations.
An area on the lawn at the Fort Stage is reserved for disabled patrons. This section is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the festival entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring lawn chairs.
Where to Stay
Check out our lodging partners for places to stay in downtown Newport. There’s plenty of time before and after the festival each day to explore the many mansions, cliff walks, shops, and restaurants that Newport has to offer.
1) All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges for any reason.
2) All artists, set times and stages are subject to change.
3) Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes an issue and we need to interrupt programming, announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
4) All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the festival. No bag larger than 16″X16″X8″ will be permitted inside the venue.
5) Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the festival may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
6) The festival will continue to make every effort to ensure socially acceptable behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
7) Newport Jazz Festival encourages a smoke-free environment and asks that you respect the health of your neighbors at the festival and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
BOX OFFICE opens at 9am / GATES open at 10am
PARKING opens at 8am / SHUTTLES start at 9am
FOOD & CRAFTS start at 10am
Times subject to change. Sign up for the email list to be notified of any changes.
WHEN IS THE SCHEDULE POSTED?
Stay tuned for the 2017 schedule.
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
Sorry, no camping is available at Fort Adams State Park but there are campgrounds not far from the festival grounds. Check out this google map of camp sites in the area. Also, check out www.visitrhodeisland.com in the Recreation/Camping section for additional suggestions.
WHAT IS ALLOWED INTO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS?
- Only one small hand held cooler (no larger than 16″ x 12″) – all coolers will be searched
- An individual blanket (Maximum size 6’x8′)
- Strollers that are reasonably sized and do not obstruct the view of others
- Low-backed chairs (under 30″) – only allowed outside no chair zones
- Cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the festival (NO AUDIO CAPTURING IS ALLOWED)
- Good attitude
- Open mind
- Love of music
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- Large coolers, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances of any kind, firearms, noise-making devices, laser pointers, knives, box cutters, tools of any kind (including Leathermen) pepper spray, Mace, or any kind of item that could be used as a weapon. Beverages in plastic bottles or cans must be factory-sealed.
- Flag poles
- Commercial audio visual equipment
- Tents, chairs with roofs over 30”, umbrellas and shade structures are prohibited in lawn seating areas.
- Beach umbrellas or beach balls (because they could end up in the bay and hurt the wildlife)
- No chairs over 30” are allowed and no chairs under 30” are allowed in the “no chair zones.”
- No pets
- Please leave your selfie sticks at home. Meet fellow jazz lovers & have them take the photo for you!
- No drones. Any use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event would violate Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor. Please leave them at home for the safety of all our festival-goers.
BEER & WINE GARDENS
All patrons must be 21+ to enter gardens. IDs will be checked at entrances and over 21 wristbands will be issued. Over 21 wristbands are good all weekend so get one once and keep it on.
Cash and credit cards are accepted in the gardens. Food & other beverages are also available. Read all signs carefully.
Beer Garden Hours: 2017 hours TBD.
FOOD & CRAFT VENDORS
We have some great food and craft vendors on-site. Stay tuned for 2017 vendors.
OFFICIAL MERCH STATIONS
Bring a piece of the Newport Jazz Festival home with you! Stop by our merch booth on the way to the Fort Stage to grab official 2017 gear.
ADA SEATING: An area on the lawn at the Fort Stage is reserved for disabled patrons. This section is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the festival entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring lawn chairs. The Quad & Harbor Stages each have areas with seats that are reserved for disabled patrons on a first-come first-served basis.
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering the Festival site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from parking lot to the Festival entrance, running from 9am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500. Service charges apply to all tickets purchased online and by phone.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For ticket questions email email@example.com
For press requests, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For partnership opportunities, please contact email@example.com
For Craft Vendor requests email firstname.lastname@example.org
For Food Vendor requests email email@example.com
For general festival questions email firstname.lastname@example.org