GETTING TO FORT ADAMS
Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI, 02840. One of the park system’s national treasures, Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views. The festival at the Fort features 4 stages of music, food and crafts, two beer and wine gardens and a number of displays. Festival is held rain or shine.
For bike info, visit bikenewportri.org/park-bike.
BY WATER SHUTTLE
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the Festival weekend between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It’s a 15 minute trip and reservations are not required. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here.
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here.
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. Regular service runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here.
Fort Adams State Park in Newport, RI is about 1.5 hours from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Get directions to the Fort from your location.
There is limited on-site car parking available at Fort Adams State. PARKING ACCEPTS CASH ONLY. Motorcycle parking is also available on-site for $10. As parking is limited and we love Mother Earth, carpooling is encouraged!
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering the Festival site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from the parking lot directly to the Festival entrance, running from 9 am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
RULES & FAQs
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
BOX OFFICE opens at 9am / GATES open at 10am
PARKING opens at 8am / SHUTTLES start at 9am
FOOD & CRAFTS start at 10am
Times subject to change. Sign up for the email list to be notified of any changes.
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
Sorry, no camping is available at Fort Adams State Park but there are campgrounds not far from the festival grounds. Check out this google map of camp sites in the area. Also, check out www.visitrhodeisland.com in the Recreation/Camping section for additional suggestions.
IF I LEAVE THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS , CAN I GET BACK IN?
No, there is no re-entry into the festival whatsoever. We have everything you need inside the site. Due to world events, and to ensure our fans’ safety and efficiency of our entry operations, there will be no daily in-and-out or re-entry permitted. Our top priority is to provide a safe experience for all fans, employees and artists. For your convenience the visitors center will now be inside the festival grounds, and fans will have access to the bathrooms and ATM. We ask that you please pack accordingly to adjust to this policy.
WHAT IS ALLOWED INTO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS?
- Only one small hand held cooler (no larger than 16″ x 12″) – all coolers will be searched
- An individual blanket (Maximum size 6’x8′)
- Strollers that are reasonably sized and do not obstruct the view of others
- Low-seat chairs (under 30″H) are preferred to ensure good viewing for your neighbors. These are only allowed outside no chair zones. No chairs above 34″H will be allowed in and no recliners or footrests allowed. If your chair has a shade cover, it must be left in the down position. Any higher seated chairs that still fit the height restrictions should be set up farthest from the stage or in designated shade areas.
- Small baby beach cabanas are allowed in designated shade areas only as space allows. Chairs between 30″H – 34″H are allowed in these areas as well, and shade covers are allowed to be in the up position. No pop up tents.
- In the event of rain, umbrellas are allowed in the venue and in seating areas but must be closed and stored during sets so as not to obstruct the views of others.
- Cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the festival (NO AUDIO CAPTURING IS ALLOWED)
- Good attitude
- Open mind
- Love of music
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- No harassment of any kind! All festival-goers are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
- Large coolers, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances of any kind, firearms, noise-making devices, laser pointers, knives, box cutters, tools of any kind (including Leathermen) pepper spray, Mace, or any kind of item that could be used as a weapon. Beverages in plastic bottles or cans must be factory-sealed.
- Flag poles
- Commercial audio visual equipment
- No bag larger than 16”X16”X8” will be permitted inside the venue.
- No beach umbrellas or beach balls (because they could end up in the bay and hurt the wildlife)
- No chairs over 34″H are allowed in the park. No recliners or foot rests allowed either.
- No chairs over 30”H are allowed in lawn seating areas
- No chairs are allowed in the “no chair zones.”
- Chairs using roofs and other shade structures are prohibited in lawn seating areas and must be used in designated shade areas only.
- No pop up tents
- No pets
- Please leave your selfie sticks at home. Meet fellow jazz lovers & have them take the photo for you!
- No drones. Any use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event would violate Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor. Please leave them at home for the safety of all our festival-goers.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
In the event of an emergency, please follow the directions of the Festival staff and listen for stage announcements.
If severe weather is observed in the area we will make the proper announcements via our stage PA systems including the severity of the storm, evacuation, and festival suspension. Safety of our patrons is of the utmost importance to us.
RAIN OR SHINE
Be prepared with sunscreen, sunglasses, one water bottle and a raincoat. Newport Folk/Jazz is rain or shine!
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING
If you experience odd behavior or see something you know shouldn’t be there, say something. Please report suspicious behavior to any Security or Festival Staff member,or medical personnel.
Please be prepared for heightened security. All attendees are subject to bag checks and wanding.
There is a First Aid Care Station which is staffed by Rhode Island DMAT, and is located behind the Harbor Stage. It is staffed each day from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Do not hesitate to visit our medical tents if you experience any health problems. Stay hydrated!
ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE
BEER & WINE GARDENS
All patrons must be 21+ to enter gardens. IDs will be checked at entrances and over 21 wristbands will be issued. Over 21 wristbands are good all weekend so get one once and keep it on.
Cash and credit cards are accepted in the gardens. Food & other beverages are also available. Read all signs carefully.
Beer Garden Hours: Noon – 6:30PM
FOOD & CRAFT VENDORS
For 2020 vendor inquiries, please fill out this form.
OFFICIAL MERCH STATIONS
Bring a piece of the Newport Jazz Festival home with you! Stop by our 2019 merch booth near the entrance to the festival to grab your official gear.
COMING WITH CHILDREN?
Children 15 & under must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. Proof of age may be requested. Children 2 & under are free. Adults entering the gate using a child ticket will be turned away.
The Fort Stage viewing area is uncovered and includes no chair zones, general admission lawn seating areas, an ADA area and a small reserved seating section. To access the reserved section, you must purchase a separate ticket for the reserved area. Patrons may bring blankets or low-backed lawn chairs (max 30”) for lawn seating areas. No tents, chair roofs, umbrellas or shade structures are allowed in lawn seating areas. The Quad, Harbor & Museum Stages are covered. Seating is first-come, first-served in these locations.
NO CHAIR ZONE & CHAIR HEIGHT
There will be a standing/dancing zone in front of the Fort Stage, house left. Low backed chairs (30” or less) and blankets are allowed outside of the no chair zone (house right) and in most other areas of the park. Although we do not clear out the standing/dancing area in between sets, we do make sure that this area remains a standing-only zone while artists are performing. The audience is welcome to sit down in this area in between performances, but we do not permit anyone to put out blankets, chairs, or other personal items as a means of spot-saving. Chair height will be checked in the chair zones at the Fort Stage. Chairs or structures over 30” will be moved to the back of the house.
ADA SEATING: An area on the lawn at the Fort Stage is reserved for disabled patrons. This section is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the festival entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring lawn chairs. The Quad & Harbor Stages each have areas with seats that are reserved for disabled patrons on a first-come first-served basis.
Parking for patrons with disabilities is located in a designated lot at Fort Adams State Park. The regular parking fee must be paid. When entering the Festival site, vehicles with patrons needing access to this lot must show their handicapped license plate or placard, or other state-issued identification. The holder of the placard or identification MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle. There will be a shuttle bus fitted with a wheelchair accessible lift to bring patrons from parking lot to the Festival entrance, running from 9am until the end of the day. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500. Service charges apply to all tickets purchased online and by phone.
2) All artists, set times and stages are subject to change.
3) Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes an issue and we need to interrupt programming, announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
4) All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the festival. No bag larger than 16″X16″X8″ will be permitted inside the venue.
5) Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the festival may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
6) The festival will continue to make every effort to ensure socially acceptable behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
7) Newport Jazz Festival encourages a smoke-free environment and asks that you respect the health of your neighbors at the festival and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For ticket questions email email@example.com.
For press requests, please check back this Spring.
To submit an artist for consideration, please fill out this form.
For more information or to inquire about volunteer opportunities, please complete this form.
For 2020 vendor inquiries, please fill out this form.
For partnership opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general festival questions, please email email@example.com.